Thursday, May 01, 2008

First Born


Max was diagnosed on Monday with Stage IV Lymphoma. We have been trying to resolve a chronic cough he developed a few months ago and finally know the cause. He will be twelve in the fall and so we have decided as a family to keep him comfortable and love him as much as we can for the next few weeks. That's what the vet thinks we have with him, a few weeks.

Max has been the best dog ever... I remember finding him at just 5 weeks old and 3lbs, he and I driving from Florida to Maine and only stopping 4 times, earning the notch in his tongue (he lost the fight with my carpet tack strips as a pup), being a great hiking dog (even though stray lobster traps terrified him), trying to lay claim to infant Avery by rolling on him like one of his toys, camping (he loves camping), being the neighborhood dog that everyone passing by stops to love... the list goes on and on. Max has always seemed more than a dog... he has always had a spirit that seemed more connected.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry guys. You're right...max is so much more than "just a dog." He will be missed by everyone. I'm thinking of you all...I know this is tough. I love you.

Fiddler said...

We all love Mackey, as I have affectionately come to know him since Avery. He's always been the best dog.

Anonymous said...

Maxwell loved to come over to the house and roam down the 3 acre field (lawn), and see what he could see. He always made himself at home when he was here. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him...even the postman!

Mom Richard

KMR said...

Oh, that's so sad. I know how much our furbabies mean to us. I loved Max the instant I saw him. You have given him a fabulous life. I'm sorry you are going through this.