Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Squirrel Chronicles (continued)


Last night, for the first time in many weeks, we heard an animal scurrying around in the attic. We haven't covered over the hole that the squirrels were using to get into the house because we haven't figured out how to get to that spot on the roof.

So I opened up the attic hatch and poked my head up there. I was met with a terrible smell. I had left the trap set in the attic and hadn't checked it for quite some time. Apparently, we had caught squirrel number 3 several weeks ago.

I bought some hardware cloth to cover over the entrance hole. The trap is not baited with some fresh peanut butter and reset. We will see if we can catch this new varmint, then get someone to patch the hole for us. I climbed up on the roof this afternoon, but it's just not safe to try to reach the hole with the steep roof pitch.

We will keep you all posted.

5 comments:

Fiddler said...

Yikes... I can hardly wait to see what happens at the end of this story!
How bad was the clean up of #3 anyway? You'd think THAT would have been enough to deter any other creatures from entering the attic!

Anonymous said...

You should have taken a picture of the dead starved to death animal...copied it about a hundred times and put it all over the side of the house and by the hole.....that would have worked...at least if I was a squirrel.

Anonymous said...

#3's teeth and toes were clenched around the bars of the trap. After I pried its teeth off with a pry-bar, he dropped right of the cage. Clean-up was a snap.

Fiddler said...

Gross.... but tidy :)

Anonymous said...

This is when you needed Dad. He would have found a way to get to that hole, no matter how dangerous!! ...or if it meant crawling in a space smaller than his body. I have seen him do things that I just can't imagine anyone else trying!! Good luck!!