Thursday, June 19, 2008

Art and Science


These are some of Avery's latest works of art. Avery explained to me that the beads are rocks and the green paper is seaweed in the fish bowl. He has granted permission for the parrot to go to work with me on Monday - I love it!

Yesterday afternoon Paige, Avery and I attended a free children's concert at the library. It was incredible! The performance was by a quartet consisting of two violins, a viola and cello played by musicians ages 19-25. They played Haydn and Mendelsohn. They also took time to talk with the children - about how the music made them feel, about themselves and their instruments. Avery was completely mesmerized and extremely well behaved despite not having had a nap!

Now for the science part... yesterday morning while Avery and I were having our morning snuggle, he looked at me and said "ma, you know when the rain goes back up into the clouds and comes back down again (hand movements making rain go up and down), that's called evaporation".

Being a stay at home mom does not by itself make one a good mother. By the same token, being a working mother does not by itself make one a bad mother. Its no secret that I would love to stay home with my kids. For the time being, I need to work and I'm really lucky that Paige and Avery have such amazing childcare that is safe, loving, educational and creative.

3 comments:

KMR said...

Avery and Paige are very lucky to have a mother that loves them so much. You are truly a wonderful woman and I really admire you. Here's a big HUGGGG!!

Anonymous said...

It isn't the time you spend with your kids, it is the quality of time. Always remember that!! I, too, will send you a big HUG.

MOM R

Fiddler said...

I love that you took the kids to the concert, and that you teach them all the time simply by treating them like they're worthy of learning even small things... that they are as interesting as (or more than) adults. You are an awesome mom, and I'm so proud of you...
And, I really love the goldfish bowl :)