Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sigh...




Today Gram and J worked on Avery's swing set. We didn't finish it completely but Avery was able to try the swing. We still need to level the set, add a cargo net and trapeze. Its very sturdy and will last for many, many years (until we have grandchildren J said!). Avery had lots of fun and giggles playing with just a tarp in the backyard.

Max really went downhill last night. He was really struggling to breathe. We tried giving him extra medicine but it didn't give him any relief. Finally this afternoon we had to let him go. We already miss him so very much. Avery was napping during all of this. When he woke from his nap, I told him that while he was sleeping Max went to doggie heaven.

A: "Oooohhh (very quiet and sad) ... did you bring him there?"
Me: "Yes"
A: "Oh... I didn't give him enough love today" What a sensitive little man I have! It was all I could do to not completely break down at this... and I explained to him that he gave Max lots of love and he knew Avery loved him. A few minutes later...
A: "When is he coming back"

6 comments:

Fiddler said...

I'm so sad for you guys. I remember when you first got Max and he was so incredibly small and vulnerable. You gave him the best life any dog has ever had, and you were there for him today too when he needed you the most... he's at peace now.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for all of you right now. Max was one of the greatest little beings that ever was. I remember when jen and I found him with his little head stuck in the ring of a cyclone fence. The sausage mcmuffin that he wolfed down. I remember coming home to the carpet peeled halfway across the living room and the mysterious little tear in his tongue, presumably from the tack strip and the fact that he NEVER chewed the carpet again. I remember that he loved the mailman, but hated the trash collectors (they were stealing stuff). I remember the scaby baths for his mange and the awful smelling shower medicines that Jen and I both had to take afterwards. I remember how very much Jenifer loved her "first born" and treated him like the gifted child that he was.
He was a great dog and gave so much love to all he met. He was very lucky to have Jen as a Mom, Jason as his Dad and Avery and Paige as buddies.
Rest in Peace Boo Bear.

Fiddler said...

I forgot about the name "boo bear"... what nice memories for such a great pup

KMR said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Anonymous said...

Max did indeed touch everyone and everything he came in contact with. He played the role of mentor to Cera masterfully. Ever patient while she chewed on his ears and sat on his head. He provided many laughs, especially when crawling into the smallest space he could find, laying down right in the ocean surf, or attempting a swim move upside down. He seemed to have a soulful wisdom about him, and I have no doubt that he found Jen, as they were a pefect fit. I am convinced he held on until you were ready to let go. Well done Max.-----Devon

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I went to Bangor to help with the swing set. So glad that I got to see Max one more time. Such a wonderful, kind, and loving dog. Not a mean bone in his body! He is not suffering any more, and he is at peace. Everyone who knew him, loved him. MOM R.