Saturday, August 09, 2008

My New Toy

Finally, after months of hemming and hawing, I bought the new chainsaw that I have been looking at.  I used my father's old Stihl 028 last fall when my Mom and I took a couple of cords out of the woodlot.  Despite being 25+ years old, it still runs extremely well.  It's had trouble with the starter recoil a few times in the past, and it broke again.  I know it needs a new sprocket, which will require an overhaul of the whole sprocket assembly since the old style sprocket isn't available any more.  Also, it was made before chainsaws were equipped with chain brakes, which makes it a bit scary to operate.  In short, it was time for the old 028 to be retired.

The new chainsaw is a Stihl MS 270.  I plan to head down to Livermore tomorrow to finish cutting and splitting the wood we cut down last fall.  It will be nice to have a reliable and safer saw to use.  The reality is that it's a good investment, costing the same as 100 gallons of heating oil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That saw is a honey..purrs like a kitten! I watched Jason saw 4 foot wood into firewood like he was cutting butter. Very nice saw, indeed! MOM

KMR said...

very nice!! now you have no excuses to come down here and do a demo :D

Fiddler said...

Nice purchase... quality tools and good safety features are so important. I hope you wear chaps and logger boots...